By Jemma Burgess
Taylor and the Quran
So when asked to write a scab on a book or movie that I wouldn’t usually see/read, my first thought was oh, I’ll read the Quran. I have been wanting to read it for a while because I am not one with religion so I thought it would be quite interesting and I really dislike it when people start debating and comparing the Quran and The Bible when they’ve read neither so know fuck all. Despite my new found interest in learning about different religions, I have yet to finish The Quran and don’t feel I can write anything that does it justice at this present time ( a scab will follow when I have completed it ), sooooooo I turned my thoughts to film and wondered what would the next biggest thing that I wouldn’t usually watch and then I found Taylor Swifts reputation tour.
It’s not that I don’t like Taylor Swift as a human being ( I can’t, I don’t know her ) but I must admit, I am not a massive fan of her music. I’m more of a Muse, Last Shadow Puppets, Billie Eilish, Ennio Morricone, My Chemical Romance kind of gal. Also.. she’s just one of those people that I look at and think, I really want to slap you in the face. She just has one of those faces. You know it, I know it, she probs knows it but alas, I digress.
Heres ten things I learnt from her TWO HOUR stadium tour documentary:
- She can actually sing really well.
- She has turned what was once a hobby into a fucking empire
- This tour she did was the highest grossing tour in U. S History!!! That means she doesn’t just have 16-year-old puberty stricken female fans.
- She knows she can’t dance but embraces it and does it anyway, turning her failings into a success.
- She literally made millions on writing songs about her relationships that resonated with millions. AKA she knows her tone of voice and she knows her audience.
- She collaborates with literally everyone. Not just country artists but all types of music.
- She basically creative directed the whole tour from her Vip section to her costumes, to what was on stage, to the bracket that her fans wore. That’s a lot!! She made shit happen, from every small little detail.
- She turned what shit people were saying and gossiping about her. her perceived ‘bad reputation’ into an album that sold 1.216 million copies in its first week of release, making it the country’s best-selling album of 2017. Taking her from a sweet innocent girl to a bad ass mother fucker. I mean if that isn’t rebranding yourself then what is.
- She performed for two hours every single night with as much passion and commitment as the time before
- She’s fucking smashing it.
So thank you, Taylor, for being a surprising inspiration for 2019.