Memoirs of a Mosher by @mawbius
By Alex Mawby
Memoirs of a Mosher
Before I got completely run over with work, I kept a diary of my time at SCA.
Below are my entries for the first week, completely unedited and a little embarrassing.
Thought it might be interesting for you new lot, and even some of the old lot.
- So, first day of SCA.
- Hard to summarise.
- Mad busy in the studio.
- Don’t really feel l deserve to be there. Feel like a bit of an observer.
- Big intro talk from Marc, defines creativity as ‘the expression of an idea that brings value’
- Not sure about that. Spose it will do.
- To be honest the whole day has been a blur – hard to pin down exactly what happened.
- Arduino project very disappointing. Internet not working and then my code wouldn’t upload.
- Gutted as my project was much better than I thought – compared to some other peoples.
- Great to catch up with Marco who I met in San Francisco.
- Met some interesting art director dudes – Ben + Frazer.
- Very nice + cool.
- Do I need to start thinking about partnerships?
- Long day. Tired out.
- Listened to Nudge on the train home. Wasn’t really listening. Maybe some of it went in?
- Today was much more positive.
- Improv in the morning which was a lot of fun.
- Back in my comfort zone.
- Got to know people a bit better.
- Martin or ‘mojo’
- Sam – lived in Cali
- Got chatting to a nice guy called Adam after improv. KCL English degree, but art director.
- Cool guy – gay?
- Feel quite aware of not finding my feet yet. Not being confident enough?
- Tried to write my first SCAB at lunch. Couldn’t finish it.
- Rest of the day spent with ‘Buddhist’ Ben.
- Interesting guy with a crazy background.
- Shaolin monk, lived in a monastery.
- Lectured on mindfulness – being in the here and now. Not confused by the past or future.
- Very interesting comments on the value of time and how obsessed we are with it in the Western world.
- I feel like I am quite a mindful person already.
- Meditating – IMPORTANT
- Need a mantra.
- Wrote a pretty rubbish SCAB when I got home.
- Set my alarm for 7.20 as going to visit an agency in SW London – Brave
- Alarm didn’t go off!
- Woke up at 8.45 – jumped out of bed, pulled clothes on and ran out of the door.
- Quite stressful but I tried to remain MINDFUL and stayed calm.
- Only 2 mins late. Result.
- It was fine, Hannah (one of the mentors) was later than me.
- Brave a small agency in Parsons Green.
- Met executive creative director Bo Hellberg and senior art director Caroline Paris.
- They showed us their work on El Jimador.
- Bo was an interesting guy.
- Had to do vox pops with staff.
- Thrown in at the deep end. Ended up interviewing head of digital design despite not really having any idea what I’m talking about.
- Very nice guy though.
- People seem very open to talking to students which is great.
- Headed out to coffee shop – Hannah bought us all a drink.
- Finally felt more able to talk in a smaller group.
- Got talking to Clarissa. She seems lovely.
- The fact I’m a children’s entertainer came out. Everyone thought it was pretty funny.
- Met Edward – very funny, incredibly dry sense of humour.
- Mojo seems very honest and enthusiastic.
- Lucy and Anna also in my group.
- And Rob.
- Visited R/GA.
- Pretty dull tour of the offices.
- Incredible talk from James Temple though, ECD.
- Really liked their responsive attitude towards culture and topical stories.
- Interviews dragged afterwards, why didn’t I have lunch?
- Walked back to Angel with Ed and got the train home. Fav person from today.
- Passive aggressive note on my car about parking near someone’s house.
- So British. I should collect them all together and make an exhibition.
- Woke up and Mum was having a go about making a mess.
- Felt like I dealt with it in a MINDFUL way. Just walked out of the kitchen.
- After a masterclass from Marc in branding and positioning we spent the day decorating ceramics.
- We all had to decorate a mug with our own personal brand and then attempt a joint task with 8 bowls.
- We were given Andy Warhol as a subject.
- It was a relaxing day. My mug was decorated with a (Y) sign. It didn’t look great but we’ll see after it gets blasted.
- Good way to get to know everyone better.
- Particularly like Sam – seems like a solid guy.
- Nina also a strong personality.
- Our bowls task was great, we stacked them up to look like a can of Campbell’s soup.
- Weirdly proud of our little bowl collection.
- Rushed out a reflection slide. Could have been better, should have asked someone first but still a bit intimidated by a few.
- Need to practice photoshop.
- French Fiona nice but quiet – I find it hard to talk to her cause I’m so bad with accents.
- Edwina a very odd one – can’t put my finger on it.
- Blowjobs in libraries?
- At the pub finally spoke to everyone properly.
- They all seem like an amazing group of people.
- Most preconceptions proved completely wrong.
- Went to KFC with Ed halfway through the night. Enjoyed that part a little bit too much.
- Marcella is lovely – hugely passionate, and I’m not just falling into Italian stereotypes.
- Elin is a massive flirt. Very smart though.
- Georgia really went for it with the dancing in the pub.
- Strange convo with Lawrence as I was leaving.
- Pugh is an enigma, don’t get him yet at all.
- Teddy seems pretty wise and honest about fucking up last year, which I respect him for.
- Shame my girlfriend couldn’t make it out. She has to meet these people who are going to take over my life.
Enjoy it SCA 15/16.
And cheers, MOSH.