By Ben Golding
Dispatches from the frontline
Hunter Fargo and myself are out on a months placement at an acronym titled agency in the middle of London. I thought it would be good to share some of my learnings so that my mistakes and lessons can help others get ahead once they are in placement too. Hopefully this will be in a few parts as i progress through the weeks, I hope you find it useful.
- You will be waiting around. Thats a fact. You are not as important as literally anything else going on in the agency.
- Doing real-world briefs is like playing chess. The only problem is that three other people have already played the most of the game for you. You spend a good chunk of time just figuring out what the hell is going on before you can make an informed move.
- Smile. Be friendly. Speak up.
- The creative department is only a small part of a huge team all pulling to get the ads in and made.
- Don’t expect to get a pat on the back at the end of each day because you’ve worked your ass off.
- Learning everyones name is HARD. Make a list quickly before you forget.
- You can’t just rewrite the brief. Theres usually been weeks of planning and client back and forth to get to where the agency is now. Its your job to deliver the innovative solution they have asked for. If you want to change everything and throw out the rule book, do that as extra.
- There is always alcohol. Sometimes it calls to you. Sometimes everyone drinks all together. This is all fine, but remember you are on an extended job interview. Be the drunk YOU would hire. Actually, just try not to get drunk.
- All the other creative teams are in competition with you, and they have lots more experience.
- Get used to not being able to talk through your ideas with people as much as you do at SCA. We take it for granted that theres CDs just sort of floating about, you’ve got to learn to spot your best work.
Warning: include(/index.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/schoolco/public_html/wp-content/plugins/social-share-button/includes/class-shortcodes.php on line 41
Warning: include(): Failed opening '/index.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php56/pear') in /home/schoolco/public_html/wp-content/plugins/social-share-button/includes/class-shortcodes.php on line 41