By Sasha Midgley
I thought I’d write a practical and intimidating list for my SCAB today.
Below are 50 things we should still be finding time for…
- A-Z propositions people.
- Keep a folder of photographers, directors, artists, music, copywriters, illustrators, comedians,
writers, designers, architects, product designers, dancers work you appreciate.
- Talk to mentors on how to improve your work.
- Arrange book crits.
- Make topicals.
- Passion project(s).
- Read up on advertising greats, Helmut represent.
- Keep up to date with new industry work.
- Look at past D&AD winners.
- Stalk SCA alumni portfolios.
- Collect those dots.
- Swat up on news of the world.
- Send thank you cards.
- Follow mentors/speakers on Twitter.
- Try something new.
- Get out of the studio and people watch.
- Keep a folder of weird and wonderful things you discover that might come in handy in the
shape of an insight/idea/inspiration
- Develop portfolio ideas.
- Recreate bad advertising.
- Watch documentaries.
- Cook. (Prepare lunch the night before)
- Research the mentors/speakers coming in the calendar.
- Find work you love.
- Find agencies you want to work at.
- Sit with Ian.
- Look for industry events.
- Read the reading list.
- Get fresh air.
- Catch up on Slack.
- Work on some briefs outside of SCA.
- Enter industry competitions.
- Read through PB feedback and make notes.
- Clear desktop.
- Backup work on mac.
- Plan your time.
- Practice creative techniques.
- Listen to advertising podcasts.
- Find fonts.
- Create a website for your portfolio.
- Look for interesting events.
- Add to notes of the year.
- Make yourself known.