By Beth Anderton-Allen
44 Creative Tips From TBWA, London.
This week we were given the great opportunity to visit TBWA, London. Where we met the legend, Peter Souter. Yes Peter Souter.
So here are 44 creative tips and insights from the gang at TBWA, London.
- We are helping people make decisions.
- Tell people – this is what you’re afraid of and this is why you shouldn’t be.
- PULL YOUR FUCKING HEART OUT.
- LAUGH. CRY. THINK.
- Without sand there is no pearl.
- You should be prepared to have the piss taken out of you.
- Understand the market.
- Use knowledge to create insight.
- WORD. PICTURES. INSIGHTS.
- If you’re a planner you need to have curiosity and scepticism.
- The solution is usually the problem flipped on it’s head.
- Seek something new and original. Something that has never been done before.
- When you work in a team you create a third person. The third person is smarter than you will
ever be as individuals.
- Take everything from everywhere.
- When researching ask people ‘why?’ Create or do something and then ask them again if they
would buy it.
- PERFORM A JUDO THROW ON THE BRIEF.
- No one can make you do a bad advertisement.
- Only you can make yourself do a bad ad (if you give in).
- If you want to make something better, make it better.
- The more you write like you talk, the better it will be.
- Listen to a story and then turn it into an ad.
- When you do you’re job right, you can change people’s behaviour.
- You need a great book.
- Ask yourself ‘would I sit next to myself at a dinner party?’.
- You are your product.
- Once you’ve done it once, you can do it a million times (great ads).
- When building up your book, see if you can sum it up in five words/ one line.
- As creatives we need to produce ideas that not everyone can think of but everyone can
- All you have to do is think of an idea, a great idea.
- It’s important to be yourself.
- Consider what’s going to make your book different.
- ‘IF YOU THINK YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN’T, THEN YOU ARE PROBABLY RIGHT.’
- DO GREAT STUFF ALL OF THE TIME.
- Anybody can do anything.
- Start making connections now.
- Pick your mentors wisely (be considerate so you can get the best advice for you).
- Every second is up to you.
- Make opportunities for yourself.
- Creative storytelling.
- Have a game plan.
- Never take your foot off the gas.
- Look at other books and start to understand award winning ads.
- Write physical thank you cards/ notes as emails get lost.
- People look down, then look up.